- Campus Grounds:
- Get out of open areas and into an enclosed building as quickly as possible upon the approach of the storm.
- Campus Buildings:
- Stay indoors. Do not venture outside unless absolutely necessary.
- Stay away from open doors and windows, metal objects, electrical appliances and plumbing until the storm passes.
- Keep telephone use to a minimum.
- Do not handle flammable liquids in open container.
- TV sets, computer equipment, and all equipment and appliance should be unplugged, if possible.
Tornado Watch has been issued in an area near campus.
- Monitor Emergency Alert Stations (See Emergency Phone Numbers section.) or NOAA Weather Stations (National Weather Service, Weather Channel).
- Ensure no physical restrictions exist that would prevent free movement to your safe area.
- Continue normal activities, but be alert to the weather condition. Continue to monitor emergency alert stations.
- Do not phone university police for information. Keep telephones circuits clear for emergency messages.
Tornado Warning has been issued in an area near campus or tornado has been spotted near campus.
- Seek shelter immediately.
- Shut off gas.
- Move students and staff to safe area.
- Remind faculty to take class roster to evacuation site, if prompted.
- Account for all students.
- Remain in safe area until warning expires or until emergency personnel have issued an all-clear signal.
- Stay clear of windows and other glass.
- Avoid auditoriums and gymnasiums.