Staff or student who is aware of a weapon brought to campus:
- Send reporting student to University Police.
- If the reporting student is unable/ unwilling to report, follow steps below. The student may remain anonymous.
- Notify University Police.
- Send message with trusted student that includes:
- Your name and location
- The name/description of the suspect
- Whether the suspect has threatened anyone
- Any information regarding the weapons location/type.
- Discreetly call 4-911 if the suspect is not present.
- Seek assistance from Dean/Director in reporting the incident.
- If instructor suspects that weapon is in classroom, he/she should confidentially notify a neighboring Faculty by sending a trusted student.
- Faculty should not leave classroom; he/she should wait for administrative response
IN ALL CASES – USE EXTREME CAUTION. DO NOT CONFRONT SUSPECT. STAY CALM!!
IF A STUDENT THREATENS YOU WITH A WEAPON, FOLLOW SUSPECTS DIRECTIONS; DON’T TRY TO BE A HERO.
- Alert University Police if a weapon is suspected, as reported by staff or student (reasonable).
- If a student reported the weapon, isolate him/her.
- University Police proceeds to the area under suspicion.
- If suspect threatens you with a weapon, do not try to disarm him/her. Back away with your arms up and remain calm.