Skip to content
Intruder-A Hostile person who enters classroom/office
- Notify University Police at 4-911.
- Ask another staff person to accompany you before approaching intruder.
- Politely greet intruder, identify yourself, and ask the intruder the purpose of his/her visit.
- Inform the intruder that all visitors must register at the University Police main office.
- If intruder’s purpose is not legitimate, ask him/her to leave. Accompany intruder to exit.
If intruder refuses to leave:
- Warn intruder of consequences for staying. Inform him/her that you have called police.
- Notify police department if intruder still refuses to leave. Give police full description of intruder.
- Walk away from intruder if he/she indicates a potential for violence. Be aware of intruders actions at this time (where he/she is located, whether he /she is carrying a weapon or package, etc.)
- University Police will issue an All Clear when incident is under control.
- If hostage taker is unaware of your presence, do not intervene.
- Call 4-911 immediately, Give dispatcher details of situation.
- Seal off area near hostage scene.
- Be prepared to provide University Police with:
- Number of hostage taker(s)
- Description of hostage taker(s)
- Type of weapon hostage taker(s) have
- Number and names of hostages
- Demands and instructions hostage taker(s) have given
If taken hostage:
- Follow instructions of hostage taker.
- Try not to panic. Calm students if they are present.
- Treat the hostage taker as normally as possible.
- Be respectful to hostage taker.