In the event of a fire, smoke from a fire, or a gas odor has been detected:
- Assess the situation. Pull fire alarm and contact 4-911.
- Evacuate students and staff to a safe distance outside of building.
- Assist the disabled in exiting the building if able to do so. If not, assist them to the nearest area of rescue and report location to emergency personnel.
- Do not use elevators during a fire emergency.
- Follow normal fire drill route. Follow alternate route if normal route is too dangerous.
- Faculty takes class roster to evacuation site. Take (call) roll after being evacuated.
- Advise university police of missing students.
- Perform necessary immediate first-aid on victim(s): smother fire by rolling victim on the ground, deluge with water.
- No one may reenter building(s) until entire building(s) has been declared safe by fire or police personnel.
- University Police/Director of Environmental Health and Safety notifies students and staff of termination of emergency. Resume normal operations.
Do not use water on electrical fires. Do not attempt to fight fires involving explosives.
Do not attempt to fight fires involving toxic chemicals or strong oxidizers.